Site Notices & Plug-Ins
Some content on the www.restorethegulf.gov web site may require certain software and/or plug-ins to be viewable. Plug-ins are software that work with your browser to provide capability the browser may not otherwise have. Most software vendors offer versions of their plug-ins for each computer platform type (i.e., Windows, Macintosh, Linux, etc...)
For your convenience, we have listed the most common plug-ins that may be used on the RestoreTheGulf.gov site and provided links to the vendor sites where they can be obtained. These links do not indicate an endorsement of the products and are provided merely for convenience. Questions on use or installation should be directed to the respective vendor.
Some of the links on this website require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
The Department of Homeland Security is committed to providing access to our Web pages for individuals with disabilities, both members of the public and federal employees.
To meet this commitment, we will comply with the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 508 requires that individuals with disabilities, who are members of the public seeking information or services from us, have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to that provided to the public who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on us.
Section 508 also requires us to ensure that federal employees with disabilities have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access to and use of information and data by federal employees who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on us.
If the format of any material on our Web site interferes with your ability to access the information, due to an issue with accessibility caused by a disability as defined in the Rehabilitation Act, please contact RestoreTheGulf@dhs.gov for assistance.
To enable us to respond in a manner most helpful to you, please indicate the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred format in which to receive the material, the Web address (URL) of the material with which you are having difficulty, and your contact information.
The Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552a (e)(3), requires us to tell you how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal information. Federal law also limits how we can use your personal information. Protecting the privacy and security of consumers' personal information is very important to us. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do with the personal information we collect both online and offline.
When you create a subscription account, any personal information you provide is voluntary. We collect and use only the minimum information necessary to deliver the information you request. In most cases, we collect limited information, such as email address and name. Providing your name is strictly voluntary. Having it helps to personalize our communication to you, which will help to ensure that it reaches your inbox.
This site uses persistent cookies. This is a pretty standard practice, and it makes your user experience a lot better while still keeping you private and anonymous. But if you're not comfortable with that, it's easy to turn persistent cookies off; the site will still work fine without them. For more information on how to modify your browser settings to block or filter cookies, see http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you browse, read pages, or download information on www.restorethegulf.gov, we automatically gather and store certain technical information about your visit. This information never identifies who you are. The information we collect and store about your visit is listed below:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our Web site;
- The type of browser (e.g. , Netscape, Internet Explorer) and operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
- If you linked to www.restorethegulf.gov from another Web site, the address of that Web site.
This information is only used to help us make the site more useful for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. We never track or record information about individuals and their visits.
When you visit some Web sites, their Web servers generate pieces of information known as cookies. Some cookies collect personal information to recognize your computer in the future. This is not the case at www.restorethegulf.gov, where we only use non-persistent cookies or "per-session cookies." These cookies do not collect personal information on users and they are erased as soon as you leave our Web site. Per-session cookies serve technical purposes like providing seamless navigation through a Web site. These cookies do not permanently record data and they are not stored on your computer's hard drive. www.restorethegulf.gov cookies are stored in memory and are only available during an active browser session. Again, once you close your browser, the cookie disappears.
If You Send Us Personal Information
If you choose to provide us with personal information, such as filling out a Contact Us form with personal information and submitting it to us through the Web site, we use that information to respond to your message and to help us get you the information you have requested. We only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private organization. www.restorethegulf.gov never collects information for commercial marketing.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs commercial software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
www.restorethegulf.gov links to many Web sites created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. www.restorethegulf.gov provides these links as a service to our users. When users link to an outside website, they are leaving www.restorethegulf.gov and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside Web site(s).
www.restorethegulf.gov will not link to any Web site that exhibits hate, bias or discrimination. Furthermore, we reserve the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with www.restorethegulf.gov policies.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on www.restorethegulf.gov includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. www.restorethegulf.gov provides these links and pointers solely for our users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside Web site, they are leaving www.restorethegulf.gov and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside Web site.
- www.restorethegulf.gov does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked Web site.
- www.restorethegulf.gov does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked Web sites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- www.restorethegulf.gov does not and cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site.
- www.restorethegulf.gov is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked Web sites.
- www.restorethegulf.gov does not guarantee that outside Web sites comply with the requirements of Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.